OpenWRT and WLAN bridging

After being three weeks off for vacation I got back home and restartet all the systems to bring my personal infrastrukture alive again. All went ok, except the Linksys WRT54G V1.1 wireless bridge (I only use this feature and the integrated 4 port 10100 mbps ethernet switch), obviously I seem to have forgotten something… Having installed an old version of OpenWRT I thought it was time to update stuff to OpenWrt whiterussian rc3 (which did not work so I installed rc1). After that I tryed to figure out what was wrong: wireless clients dont received an IP via [DHCP,][5] no DHCP requests arrived at the 100 mbps ethernet interface of the server. Debugging on and on and on I expected WEP to be misconfigured, reading the docs and using pretty much of nvram show I saw something called wl0_br1_enable=0 which seems wrong, obviously I missed to write the nvram changes via nvram commit before turning the device off…

[5]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol